Wednesday, May 17, 2017

P. S. A


I feel like I need to make a public service announcement to the world,

and if I don’t,

my head will fully explode.

I may walk, I may crawl and I may not have any limbs at all.

Are you completely confused?

If you are, don’t be

because

I am about to shout  it out....                                                    

DISABILITY!

I can almost see your face,

as some of you are frowning with disgrace.

Wanting to turn your back away


because you feel like it’s a contractible disease.

Straight up ignorance, if I may say!

Now if I tell you that,

I have a low tolerance for ignorance.

Would you still act like an ass?

Or reevaluate the way you see this word.

I would hope that you reevaluate…

but I truly can’t make that decision for you.

Let me turn your head just a little bit.

Don’t worry it won’t hurt, and it will still be on topic.

What if I told you that I am an advocate, and left you with that.

You might be confused and wonder

What kind of advocate?

Let me just tell you this…

A lot of people, who are advocating for others,

are dealing with the same thing themselves.

So, if I say to you that I am a disability advocate…

You might be shocked and wonder what my disability is?

Go right ahead and ask,

I will be glad to tell you.

But, I hope once I tell you,

you will walk away feeling proud

because you have let go of, that ignorance

and fully opened your mind and ears.

People who have disabilities expect to be treated the same as everyone else.

They don’t ask for very much but your respect.

And if they ask for accommodations,

it is because they need it so they can fit in with everyone else.

So, whether they have an invisible disability, the ones you cannot see,

or a physical disability, the ones you can see…

Don’t Judge them

because labels are for cans!

Educate yourself by asking questions. 

                                                                

                                                               Peace I am out of here!




Poetry Garden Corner:
This poem is dedicated to all people who live with disabilities because I can relate to how every person feels. Yes this is a poem that I wrote myself, and I just let the words come to me as my hands did the writing. Therefore, I hope you all enjoy this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment